The Chamber’s Government Affairs Council met on July 13, with 10 Council members attending in person and two via Zoom. The Council discussed a wide range of topics, including the Governor’s recent proposal to expand the state’s annual sales tax holiday weekend (August 14 & 15) to include the entire months of August and September this year. Recent reports indicate that legislative leaders do not support the Governor’s proposal making it unlikely that the state House and Senate will approve this measure.
Other topics discussed at the Council’s July meeting include:
- Clarifying the fact that the Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce is a locally governed and independent business association, and not affiliated with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- The Council requested that Chamber staff more closely monitor current state policy issues and report at the Council’s monthly meetings on key issues of interest to members
- Surveying members to seek views on business-related issues, and share results with members, community and our legislative delegation
- Gloucester Harbor planning and Chamber role/ participation in the harbor plan update
- Community updates
- Manchester: housing development proposals and Board of Selectmen decision to end the use of parking spaces for extension of outside dining
- Essex: update on the causeway bridge replacement plans and sharing news of the reopening of Ripple on the Water
- Gloucester: changes to the Planning Board and Board of Health
- Rockport: Long Beach options committee appointed by Moderator and has helf its first meeting
- Chamber-sponsored candidate forums in the fall for Gloucester’s municipal elections
The Government Affairs Council leads the Chamber’s focus on economic development and public policy, one of our key platforms. This Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month from 7:30 to 9 AM, and participation is open to any Chamber member with an interest in being engaged with our state and local government and helping foster a vibrant Cape Ann economy. Currently, those who are part of our monthly meetings include representatives from Cape Ann’s industrial, tourism, government, real estate, legal, non-profit and services sectors. To learn more or join in these meetings, please contact Ken or me. Our next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 10.
Chair, Government Affairs Council
Scott Energy Company