The Chamber’s Government Affairs Council met on August 10, with 9 Council members attending in person. The Council discussed a wide range of topics, including the pending roll-out of the Phase 1 North Shore Blue Economy report, and planning for Cape Ann Small Business Week, September 20-24.
Other topics discussed at the Council’s August meeting include:
- Reaching out to our Cape Ann legislators to identify current state policy issues on which they would like input from Chamber members
- Surveying members to seek views on these and other business-related issues, and sharing results with members, community and our legislative delegation
- Increased health coverage costs for businesses
- Recent state legislative actions, including creation of the “COVID-19” Employer Relief Account” as part of the recently enacted “Act Providing For Massachusetts COVID-19 Emergency Paid Sick Leave”.
- Affordable/ workforce housing initiatives and zoning
- Community updates
- Chamber-sponsored candidate forums in the fall for Gloucester’s municipal elections
The Government Affairs Council leads the Chamber’s focus on economic development and public policy, one of our key platforms. This Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month from 7:30 to 9 AM, and participation is open to any Chamber member with an interest in being engaged with our state and local government and helping foster a vibrant Cape Ann economy. Currently, those who are part of our monthly meetings include representatives from Cape Ann’s industrial, tourism, government, real estate, legal, non-profit and services sectors. To learn more or join in these meetings, please contact Ken or me. Our next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 14.
Chair, Government Affairs Council
Scott Energy Company